Translate

Wednesday 8 October 2014

Swindon STW and Salisbury Plain (east) 20th and 21st September 2014

Hi, had another great weekend, sorry for the belated post but here it goes...

SWINDON STW 20th September 2014

I got up at 5:00 AM on Saturday and was picked up by Paul W. We had yet another nice long chat and both were very excited/interested in seeing what the reserve held today. Before the onslaught we set up some of the nets in the dark, quite a few had tape lures like the Chiffchaff and Blackcap. It took around half an hour to complete this task, then it began! Chiffchaff after Blackcap after Chiffchaff. it was great practice for my beginner hands, and really helped me progress.

The first top bird was left on its own until we managed to get through one of the manic rounds. It was a Cetti's Warbler! Only the 2nd bird ringed on site! Paul W was responsible through Simon's disgust! Simon later told us that he hasn't ringed one before, the joke lasted the whole day!!!

You can see on the first picture its diagnostic 10 feathered tail. It was amazing to see such a secretive bird up close, most ringers won't be privileged enough to ring this! Shortly after I noticed another bag that was hung up on its own. I queried about it they told me it was an unusual blackbird... I thought Ring Ouzel however they were completely fooling me. I fiddled around to try and pull this bird out, I noticed that it had an extremely long bill, can you guess what it is? Yes, a Snipe, just look at the bill...
It was my first ever Snipe! Unfortunately it already had a ring on it (for me), however, Matt told me that it had been ringed on this site last year! This shows that it is site faithful and proves the importance of this site. I did process it however so I was still smiling all the way through it, knowing that this is my favourite bird! So after an already eventful morning we were onto another net round, this time I went to the Bund a 300ft net that sits between two reed beds. I was now getting more confident in extracting. While extracting a Chiffchaff Paul W asked "Is this a Spotted Flycatcher?" I gave a little look and said "Yes, well done!" Back to base, Paul had another fantastic bird to his list the Spotted Fly!
It was a juvenile and yet another 2nd for this site. The week before Simon spotted a Pied Flycatcher on the weekend, which I think maybe the only one??? A quick scan through the bad revealed another Snipe, my one! I had to ring it and hold my baby!
You beauty!!!

List: Chiffchaff 112 (7), Blackcap 109 (7), Reed Warbler 8 (4), Sedge Warbler 6 (3), Whitethroat 1, Cettis Warbler 1, Spotted Flycatcher 1, Goldcrest 1, Swallow 5, Snipe 1 (1), Reed Bunting 2, Robin 2 (1), Blackbird 1 (1), Song Thrush 1,  
Wren 1, 
 
Dunnock 9 (1), Long Tailed Tit 2 (1), Blue Tit 1, Great Tit 1 THANKS TO 
http://www.wiltshirebirds.co.uk/ringing/north-wilts-group.html

SALISBURY PLAIN (east) 21st September 2014\

The next day proved brilliant again, Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps proved havoc around the nets. We did catch a lot of new things for me! 

Goldcrest started off my great big smile followed by 52 Meadow Pipits! A really enjoyable morning followed, with great birds here and there. While doing a net round on my own I stumbled across a gem of a bird. The colouration is so distinctive and recognisable. I brought the precious cargo back before I carried on. they called me a "hogger" or something like that (I'm sure they'll correct me on Saturday)! I didn't mind however this bird
is simply incredible! Who could ignore this beauty! Excuse the car...

List: Blackcap 85 (2), Chiffchaff 50, Meadow Pipit 52, Swallow 5, Willow Warbler 1, Whitethroat 1, Redstart 1, Goldcrest 8, Sparrowhawk 1, Robin 3 (1), Blue Tit 3, Great Tit 2, Long Tailed Tit 1 (3), Treecreeper 1 (1), Wren 2, Dunnock 2, Goldfinch 10, Chaffinch 2, Bullfinch 0 (1) THANKS TO http://www.wiltshirebirds.co.uk/ringing/north-wilts-group.html?limitstart=0

1 comment: