Translate

Saturday 27 September 2014

Bowling Green Marsh and Mudbank Ln 27th September 2014

Hi, already had a great weekend at Devon. My first stop was Bowling Green Marsh. Around 6 birders including the famed Keith Birchall were in the hide and kindly listed some birds. After spending 2 and half hours there I managed to find: 4 Curlew Sandpipers; 2 Ruff; 9 Knot; 3 Spotted Redshank; 5+ Bar-Tailed Godwits; 4 Avocets (inc. a colour ringed individual) and 5 Whimbrel were the highlights.

These great birds (mostly Easterly migrants) were within huge flocks of: at least 1000 Black-Tailed Godwits; 400+ Redshanks; 300+ Curlew; 100+ Dunlin and 20+ Greenshank. Earlier on Keith treated me to a rare bird for the site, a Male Stonechat preening in the reeds. 10+ Lapwing added to the Wader wonder!

The Curlew Sandpiper was rather difficult to photograph to say the least...
In the middle!
As soon as Keith left I came into my own, becoming the expert of the hide! From then on I seemed to be more confident with my id's and definitely picked up far more birds. When the birds left
I decided to spend half an hour at the viewing platform, it was great and I found some brilliant birds such as 2 Ruff; 9 Knot; 2 Curlew Sandpipers and 2 Spotted Redshanks. One flew straight towards me calling the other posed wonderfully, with its elegant long legs...
Luckily I managed to get a photo with the comparison between the two...

A kingfisher spent 10 minutes on some scaffolding 
After having a nice time there we went to my grandma's allotment. I was on a mission for some amphibians and reptilians. We found a couple of Slow Worms, 1 Frog and I betted to my Grandma that we'd find some Newts, obviously I was right...

We found Smooth Newts.You'll be glad to hear I put it back in its original position with its 4 other friends. Great day Bowling Green again tomorrow, fingers crossed for a Little Stint!

No comments:

Post a Comment