Translate

Tuesday 4 March 2014

Bird of the day No. 1 Snow Bunting

So I'm starting yet another new post up in which I name a random bird that pops up into my head. I will Copy a description and will have my input at the end with a little fact, so here it goes...

THE Snow Bunting:

It is fairly large and long-winged for a bunting, 15–18 cm (5.9–7.1 in) long and with a wingspan of 32–38 cm (13–15 in), and weighing 26–50 g (0.92–1.76 oz). In flight, it is easily identified by its large white wing patches. The breeding male is unmistakable, with all white plumage and a black back; the breeding female is grey-black where the male is solid black. In winter plumage, both sexes are mottled pale ginger, blackish and white above, and pale ginger and white below, with the males having more white than the females. The bill is yellow with a black tip, all black in summer males. Unlike most passerines, it has feathered tarsi, an adaptation to its harsh environment. No other passerine can winter as far north as this species apart from the common raven

The snow bunting is one of my favourite birds even though I haven't seen one. They have a very unique colour and do look pretty cute! Hopefully one day in the winter I will be able to find one of these down in cornwall, while in the winter months. Even though they might be in the right area around cornwall I never seem to ask my Mum or Dad to take me to see one. Hopefully next winter I'll learn, and tick another one off my list of birds to see...

Top Snow Bunting fact: Male Snow buntings return to their breeding spots in high-latitude arctic areas in early April, when the temperature can reach -30°C and grasses and weeds are usually covered with snow.

Picture: Snow Bunting Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment