Translate

Monday 18 August 2014

Knot again! Druidibeag, Ardivachar Point, Stinky Bay, Committee Rd and East Berneray. Thursday 14th August 2014

Hi, sorry for the late post! I'm in the Western Isles, not much connection up here due to Hosteling! Also because of it being so remote! Back to the birding...

Thankfully Granny managed to get to sleep sideways preventing any windpipe troubles... This gave a well earned rest, waking up at 10 "Not good" as my Grandma tells me! I fueled up with some Wheetos, had a drink of milk then was raring to go! Our first stop was Druidibeag, a nature reserve on the east side of the island. Just before arriving a few Wheatears caught our attention because of their bright white rumps. Amazingly "The Boys"(as my Grandma calls me) map reading skills payed off for once, we took the right turning! Then literally seconds after turning in my Grandma pointed out a "Merlin" sat in the water.I had a quick look at the now correctly identified Female Sparrowhawk, seemingly having a wash in the loch! Although I suspect it was sat there just after missing a kill. It was only about three metres away from us, I didn't get the camera out quick enough due to me looking at it in awe! That proved to be the highlight of the reserve, with "only" a couple of Wheatears further up. Inc. a juvenile.

Our next destinations was Ardivachar point, which is in the north-west of South Uist. While driving to Ardivachar we saw our first Male Ringtail Hen Harrier of the holiday...
Not in focus, but nice scenery...
The birds we were met with in Ardivachar were some Ringed Plover, Sanderling, Turnstone, Redshank, Oystercatcher, Wheatears and a few Meadow Pipits


The birds concentrated on some seaweed which allowed a few shots...



Not great photos! The bay also held our first big surprise of the day, it was a Ruff, a new bird! That was obviously on passage due to its flight behaviour, this also prevented a photograph. Granny finally persuaded me to move on however, just before we left that bay I noticed a flock of Black-Tailed Godwits (30). I gave it a quick scan which revealed a summer plumaged Bar-Tailed Godwit, can you spot it...

So there you go Amy! After a few more Wheatears we arrived at the other bay. Another Black-Tailed Godwit flock was stationed there with another summer Bar-Tailed Godwit! Again a look across the bay through my binoculars picked up a short-legged, stout wader. It was Knot, in a fresh winter plumage moult...
Ok photo.
Nothing else was of note and there was much of the same,which is still brilliant! but we still had to reach our Hostel  in Berneray, so swiftly arrived at Loch mor, near Griminish. Our aim, to find the Red-Necked Phalaropes. No luck there but we did have Stinky Bay their resting place. The first few birds were Ringed Plover, Dunlin and Oystercatcher. I was on the beach by now and got sight of what seemed to be a Red-Necked Phalarope, it looked directly at Turnstone... :( 
Ringed Plover juvenile

Sanderling and Ringed Plover

On the journey towards Berneray we spotted these on the side of the road...




Before arriving to the Western Isles (I may have mentioned in the other posts) my Grandma and I found the best places to go birdwatching here, and a Rd widely mentioned that runs through the middle of North Uist called the Committee Rd. Apparently you're guaranteed to see Eagles! Nothing, dirty liars ;) Only 1 Buzzard and 2 Ravens

Berneray was just around the corner and before we knew it we had arrived! Both of us were nervous about this one in case it had changed since my Grandma had been there in 1992. It hadn't, a beautiful collection of two white houses with a wonderful view! The first bird was a Black Guillemot, it was moulting into winter plumage...
Having a look!


Also a local colony of Arctic Terns were around, surprisingly a new bird for me! 




 They were beautiful, and did pose for me while warding off 1 Great Skua and 2 Pale Morph Arctic Skuas and 2 Dark Morph Arctic Skuas. Also 1 Great Northern Diver, loads of Turnstones and Starling...

 Also the Hostels visitors were really interesting easy to chat to. A German couple and 2 kids were great and we had a half an hour conversation! Great Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment