Translate

Saturday 9 August 2014

Topsham Rec, Goosemoor/Bowling Green Marsh 7th August 2014 LONG, long, .... POST!


Hi, with the disappointment of the Topsham Recreation Ground yesterday with the highlight being an immature Sparrohawk hunting, I was yet again seeking retribution...

My Grandma dropped me off at around 10AM, with a scope, pair of binoculars, Collin's Bird Guide and a keen eye I was on a mission for... Well I had no idea what was in store but it sure was good!

The first birds my eyes met were Black-Tailed Godwits, a flock of around a 100 that were well distributed round the site...
1 Bar-tailed Godwit was in the flock
A quick scan through the flock revealed a Bar-Tailed Godwit, also two unusually strong coloured summer plumage Black-Tailed Godwit. Straight away I had my suspicions of the two birds being Islandicas, an Icelandic race of Black-Tailed godwit that occasionally finds itself in the British Isles. Unfortunately my camera couldn't handle the distance however, looking back I realise that I should have attached the camera onto my Grandma's tripod.
Far enough for a crisper image, Islandica pictured middle right.

Shaky Hands! Islandica pictured middle left behind "normal" Black-Tailed Godwit
After that I managed to see two separate Water Rails that were either too far away or were shadows in the reeds.  Following on from that, I went further up the Topsham Recreation ground, towards the M5 Bridge, that goes over the River Exe. A few days ago a report of a juvenile Yellow-Legged Gull surfaced, my only Yellow-Legged Gull I have seen being form the Topsham Rec! Knowing that Juvenile gulls are like finding a needle in a haystack, I thought spamming the photo trigger on juvenile Gulls then looking back at them later would be the best bet! Here is my best bet, that I believe to have some feature similar to a Yellow-Leg...
Note: White head; fairly light-coloured wings and long wing trojectary.
The only down side to this bird is the less weighty bill which is normally a characteristic i.d. to a Yellow-Legged Gull. Moving on, while walking back I noticed a few fish by the side of the river that I'd say were some Thick-Lipped Grey Mullet. they showed off their freshwater super powers by being practically in a saltwater free zone!
Correct me if wrong!
After being half an hour late, my Grandma told me, I was off on my tod at Goosemoor, a recently opened cycle/walking path that has a few scrapes by the walkways. Before reaching there my Grandma dropped me off at Darts Farm, a large field with a small pond in the middle, literaly! I was hoping to find some Green Sandpipers however I got sidetracked by a huge flock of Hirundines which included 100s of House Martins and Swallows a peppering of Swifts and a lone Sand Martin (I think!) I then focused on my main mission, Green Sands... My quest had been completed by spotting two (most likely a pair of them), being harassed by the flock of Hirundines! This disturbed them into my view which was rather kind of them! Sadly though I didn't have my camera at the ready because I left it in the car not expecting anything, lesson learnt!

Now I was relocated nearby on the tarmac track of Goosemoor, my hopes were high after my Grandma handed me a copy of the reserve from above (Google Earth), that revealed a few tasty looking scrapes! While crossing the bridge that went over the Clyst, a 50ish year old man with a very nice manor started talking to me probably because of my scope. We shared our experiences in a long chat while looking across at the estuary. He recommended sites and told me where I should look for birds, thanks if you're reading this, and remember who I am! Back to birding...

Although common now, Little Egrets are still beautiful!
The first walk round Goosemoor rewarded me with 4 Green Sandpipers and a flock of Redshank. I then carried on towards Bowling Green, a lagoon that has harboured a Ross's Gull recently as you might recall. I began touring the reserve with an annoying disadvantage... My Grandmas tripod was too small which made it difficult to birdwatch without the stability. I managed to make out through my binoculars a large flock of both Black-Tailed Godwit and Black-Headed Gulls but nothing else because of the tripod. The only birds that I was happy with were 2 Stock Doves, that were obviously feeling the effects of a dry, hot summer due to taking refuge by a small pond...
Quite a nice couple, blatantly the boy looking at me and the girl turning her back, ignorant...
After that I decided to double check Goosemoor's scrapes, by going to the first lagoon. My favourite bird I saw was a stonking Greenshank that was obviously moulting between plumages, FANTASTIC!
Range again did cause slight blur.
One solitary Whimbrel also resided with some Black-Heads...
I like this shot, enables you to see the black crown on top.
One of the Green Sandpipers sat far away from any other bird minding its own business...
One-legged wonder, the Flamingos aren't the only one ;)
There were around 20 Redshanks in this flock...


So that was that for Goosemoor, Darts Farm and the Topsham Rec, but was I done there? Yes *Anti-Climax ALERT!* Yep that's all folks! Sorry if that's disappointing, My eyes are bloodshot from tiredness and "bruises" or blue moons are underneath them!  Also I didn't do anything more that day you'll be pleased to hear, this blog post seems to never end... Quicky, four birdwatchers were at the Topsham Rec in search of the Yellow-Legged Gull. They "found it" however, after I lined it up I think that they got over excited at a juvenile Lesser Black-Backed Gull!!! My full list of the day (ignore Nightjar top left from previous post!):










No comments:

Post a Comment